Sunday, April 19, 2009

Observations from the Yard

For the third weekend in a row I observed the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in the trees near our yard. The only difference this morning was the presence of a second Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I observed the male in his usual tree. There were quite a few holes, all neatly arranged in a horizontal line, in the tree, as with many of the trees found along the parking lot entrance. I noticed some movement in a tree closer to our street. It was a female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. The pair would eventually leave my sight when the male flew over to the female to chase her around the trees.

A total of 6 Dark-eyed Juncos were flying through the neighbourhood, stopping in my yard as well as the neighbouring properties on either side of our home. They should be leaving for their breeding range soon, not to be seen again until the fall.

During this time in the back yard I also ticked a bird for the year list. A Ruby-crowned Kinglet, #83, was quickly jumping from branch to branch in the same trees that the sapsuckers have called home during their brief stay in the neighbourhood. All was calm as there was no sign of the kinglet's ruby crown patch.

The weather was quite warm today and after enjoying lunch on the back patio, Jean and I observed a pair of House Finches in the yard north of our property. The colour of the male was very red and I used the female, which lacked the white eyebrow found on the female Purple Finch, to aid in the identification.

With the yard observations concluded, Jean and I would leave St. Catharines for an afternoon of birding in Port Colborne. You'll have to wait for the next posting to find out if any birds were added to the year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment