Saturday, April 14, 2012

He's Back!

Since the beginning of April, I've been waiting with anticipation for the return of a migrating species I've observed from our yard for the last 4 years. As the days past, I became concerned that it was not returning this year. Had something happened while the bird was wintering in the south-eastern United States?

Well, though 9 days later than its latest arrival, the male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Jean and I  have come to rely on for a FOY tick has returned.

I spotted it earlier this morning, in the trees, south of our yard.


I ran back inside to alert Jean of the sighting. When we scanned the trees a few minutes later, we were surprised he had company. There were 2 female Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers travelling with him. That's one sweet observation for a yard that's a stone's throw away from downtown St. Kitts.

Based on previous observations, the sapsucker should rest in our neighbourhood for approximately a week before moving on to its breeding ground and with a bit of luck, I hope to have a sighting for John to add to tomorrow's BOS count.






4 comments:

  1. nice to hear he's back- wonder what you'll see this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne.

    Jean and I viewed some really cool birds on the weekend. All I will say is, we were on the OFO Algonquin Trip. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey it's been a month- time for an update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Has it been that long?

    We've been busy trying to keep up with a fellow birder on eBird. She's always one or two species ahead of us.

    Thanks for stopping by and not giving up on me. Posts to come soon.

    ReplyDelete